The Staten Island lawyers at The Law Offices of Frank J. Dito, Jr. answer your questions regarding personal injury in New York.
The insurance adjustor wants me to sign off on my medical claims. Should I sign the papers and accept their offer
How soon after I am injured do I have to file a lawsuit?
Do I have a lawsuit? Do I really have a personal injury claim?
How much do you charge for your legal services?
I was in an accident that was not my fault. The other driver does not have insurance. Will using my own insurance to cover my property damage and medical bills increase my insurance rates?
Can I handle my accident case and settlement without the help of a lawyer?
What happens if I was injured in a collision caused by an uninsured driver?
I’m confused about the different types of coverage listed on my automobile insurance policy — what exactly is BI, UM and PIP (No-fault) coverage?
What is a Contingency Fee?
What are the most common playground injuries?
The most common playground injuries of children who visited the emergency room are severe fractures, internal injuries, concussions, dislocations and amputations.
Deaths caused by playground injuries usually occur due to strangulation or falling from playground equipment.
Also, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) a study done in New York City found that low income areas had more playground injuries related to poor maintenance than higher income areas. Playground injuries in New York City low income areas were mostly due to trash, rusty playground equipment and broken playground equipment.
What is the most common injury in motorcycle accidents?
What are the most common injuries caused by a car accident?
How can I prevent my child from getting bit by a dog?
- Do not approach an unfamiliar dog
- Do not run from a dog or scream
- Remain motionless
- If you are knocked down by a dog, roll into a ball and stay still with your hands over your ears
- Do not let your child play with a dog unless they are being supervised by an adult
- Report any stray dogs or any dogs that display any unusual behavior
- Avoid direct eye contact with unfamiliar dogs
- Do not disturb a dog when it is sleeping, eating or caring for puppies
- Let a dog sniff you before you pet it
- If your child is bit by a dog let them know to report the bite to an adult immediately so they can receive proper medical attention
If your child has been bitten by a dog contact New York dog bite attorney Frank Dito.
What should I do if I’m attacked by a dog?
What should I do if I think I may get attacked by a dog?
- Do not scream
- Do not run
- Avoid eye contact with the dog
- Once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away from the dog
What is the Statute of Limitations for a Staten Island car accident?
My daughter was injured by a hit and run driver on Staten Island. The police never caught the driver and my daughter fractured her leg. Can we sue anyone for her injuries? How will we pay her medical bills?
How much is my Staten Island accident case worth?
The largest portion of a personal injury award is for the pain and suffering you have endured. Since you and only you experience the pain resulting from your injuries, it is very difficult to quantify financially because it is so subjective. In determining the range, we take into account your injuries, the impact that they have had on your life, whether they are permanent and what medical treatment will be needed in the future, the extent and duration of your medical treatment and prior jury verdicts or arbitration awards. In calculating damages, we also take into account if you had to pay for your medical treatment and if you lost time from work.
Do I really need a lawyer to represent me in my accident case?
I fell on my bottom and was told that I broke my coccyx. What is the coccyx and what can I do for it?
A coccyx or tailbone injury results in pain and discomfort in the tailbone area (the condition is called coccydynia). These injuries may result in a bruise, dislocation, or break (fracture) of the coccyx. Although they may be slow to heal, the majority of coccyx injuries can be managed with conservative treatment.
The majority of coccyx injuries occur in women because the female pelvis is broader, and the coccyx is more exposed.
Coccyx injuries are often extremely painful, so home care is aimed at controlling pain and avoiding further irritation to the coccyx.
- Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
- For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days after the injury.
- Use ibuprofen, or a similar pain medicine, as directed on the label, for pain control.
- You can purchase a “doughnut” cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.
If you experience unusual pain or bleeding, call your doctor immediately!
What does it mean to Abey my workers compensation case?
My child was bit by a dog in Staten Island and was severely injured the doctors are even saying she may need reconstructive surgery.
List of diet pills that were recalled for not listing dangerous ingredients
- 2 Day Diet – sibutramine
- 2 Day Diet Slim Advance – sibutramine
- 2x Powerful Slimming – sibutramine
- 3 Day Diet – sibutramine
- 3 Days Fit – sibutramine
- 3x Slimming Power – sibutramine, phenytoin
- 5x Imelda Perfect Slimming – sibutramine
- 7 Day Herbal Slim – sibutramine
- 7 Days Diet – sibutramine
- 7 Diet – sibutramine
- 7 Diet Day/Night Formula – sibutramine
- 8 Factor Diet – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Eight Factor Diet – sibutramine
- 21 Double Slim – sibutramine
- 24 Hours Diet – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- 999 Fitness Essence – sibutramine
- BioEmagrecim – fenproporex, fluoxetine, furosemide
- Body Creator – sibutramine
- Body Shaping – sibutramine
- Body Slimming – sibutramine
- Cosmo Slim – sibutramine
- Extrim Plus – sibutramine, phenytoin
- vExtrim Plus 24 Hour Reburn – sibutramine
- Fasting Diet – sibutramine
- Fatloss Slimming – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- GMP – sibutramine
- Herbal Xenicol – cetilistat
- Imelda Fat Reducer – sibutramine
- Imelda Perfect Slim – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- JM Fat Reducer – sibutramine
- Lida DaiDaihua – sibutramine
- Meili – sibutramine
- Meizitang – sibutramine
- Miaozi MeiMiaoQianZiJiaoNang – sibutramine
- Miaozi Slim Capsules – sibutramine
- Natural Model – sibutramine
- Perfect Slim – sibutramine
- Perfect Slim 5x – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Perfect Slim Up – sibutramine
- Phyto Shape –rimonabant
- Powerful Slim – sibutramine
- ProSlim Plus – sibutramine
- Reduce Weihgt – sibutramine
- Royal Slimming Formula – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Sana Plus – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 Extra Slim Formula – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 Extra Slim Waist Formula – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 M18 Royal Diet – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 Slim Formula – sibutramine
- Slim Burn – sibutramine
- Slim Express 4 in 1 – sibutramine
- Slim Express 360 – sibutramine
- Slim Fast – sibutramine
- Slim Tech – sibutramine
- Slim Up – sibutramine
- Slim Waist Formula – sibutramine
- Slim Waistline – sibutramine
- Slimbionic – sibutramine
- Sliminate – sibutramine
- Slimming Formula – sibutramine
- Somotrim – sibutramine
- Starcaps – bumetanide
- Super Fat Burner – sibutramine
- Superslim – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Super Slimming – sibutramine
- Trim 2 Plus – sibutramine
- Triple Slim – sibutramine
- Venom Hyperdrive 3.0 – sibutramine
- Waist Strength Formula – sibutramine
- Xsvelten – sibutramine
- Zhen de Shou – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
Keep in mind that not all injury attorneys have a no cost policy during the time your case is going on the way our firm does and you should always review their policies prior to signing a retainer statement. Some injury law firms may charge you for costs you incur throughout the case but may not lay out the money for you in the same way we described we do in the previous paragraph. They may actually charge you upfront for all costs – because of this always keep in mind to ask questions before signing any papers with a lawyer.
What Pontiac vehicles were recalled recently?
What Lexus were recalled recently?
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Lexus ES 350
- 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Lexus IS 250 and IS 350
- 2010 HS250h
Which Toyota vehicles were included in the recent recall?
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Avalon
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Camry
- 2009, 2010 Corolla
- 2008, 2009, 2010 Highlander
- 2009, 2010 Matrix
- 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Prius
- 2010 Prius Plug in Hybrid
- 2009, 2010 RAV4
- 2010 Sai
- 2008, 2009, 2010 Sequoia
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Tacoma
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Tundra
- 2009, 2010 Venza
What should I do if I get into a car accident while I am pregnant?
How can I determine if my child’s toy has been recalled?
- Stay informed – The only way you will know if your child’s toy may have been recalled or not is by taking steps to making yourself aware of recalled products. A few ways you can keep an eye out for toy recalls is by signing up to a website (such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission site) or blog that offers recall announcements, watching the news or reading the news online incase a recall is announced, or fill out a product card (this is a card that is sometimes sold with children’s products and toys – you fill out a postcard and mail it in to the company and if the product is ever recalled they are supposed to contact you to inform you).
- Check the name and model number – Usually when a toy recall is announced the model number is announced with the recall. The model number can usually be found on the toy itself but where exactly on the toy the model number is located will vary depending upon what type of toy it is. If it is a plush toy it may be located on a tag whereas if it is a hard plastic to it may be imprinted onto the toy itself.
- Call the manufacturer or place of purchase – The majority of the time that a recall is issued you will want to contact the manufacturer of the product in order to find out how you are to be refunded for the product or if there is a fix for the recalled toy. In some instances though the manufacturer may be out of business and the recall may have been issued directly from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In this case stores who sell the product usually will deal directly with the recalled toy and you should contact them.
- Call an injury lawyer – This step should only be taken if your child has been injured or has become ill because of a recalled toy. If this is the case contacting an injury lawyer will help you understand what your rights are against the manufacturer of the toy.
How do I know if my Toyota has been recalled?
My Toyota was recalled, what is the number for the Toyota Consumer Affairs Department?
How long do I have to file a lawsuit that involves negligence?
I do not have enough money to pay a personal injury lawyer but was injured by another persons negligence and want to start a lawsuit. What should I do?
How much money will it cost me to start an injury lawsuit in New York?
I was involved in a car accident in New York and have been trying to collect money from the insurance company for years now but feel like I am getting no where. What should I do?
To speak with Frank J. Dito Jr. Staten Island car accident attorney, contact The Law Offices of Frank J. Dito, Jr. for more information about your case – 718-701-2776. We will contact you to set up a free consultation.
What is Leandra’s Law?
Leandra’s Law is a New York driving law that includes the following provisions:
- Automatic felony against a drunk driver who is driving with a child 15 years old or younger in the car; and
- Sets the blood alcohol content (BAC) at 0.08
My doctor has told me that in order to try and stop my neck pain, he is recommending that I undergo a procedure to “burn” the nerve. What is he talking about?
During RFA, you will be administered local anesthesia and your doctor will then insert a small needle into the area where you are experiencing pain, using an x-ray as a guide. Once the doctor identifies the general area, he will then insert a small electrode to begin to stimulate the area to determine if they are operating on the correct nerve tissue. Once the doctor identifies the correct area, a radio frequency current is sent to the area, causing the tissue to heat up. You do not feel any pain during this process.
I was in an accident just a few days after I picked up my new car. My insurance company is offering me less money (actual cash value of the car) than I owe to the bank. Am I responsible for the difference?
In many new car leases in New York, such as those from Honda, Ford, Hyundai and GM, gap coverage is automatically included in your lease. For leases outside of New York, gap coverage may not be included.
If you financed your vehicle through the car company or a bank, gap coverage may not be automatically included. Instead, the car dealer must notify you, by a separate document, that you would be liable for the gap.
Make sure that your lease or financing agreement includes gap insurance or a waiver. That is the time when you need to buy coverage, if it’s not already included. If you did not have gap coverage and were in an accident, the only way that you would be able to make up the gap would be to start a lawsuit against the other person’s insurance company.
What is considered “trauma” during an accident?
What are Stage 4 bed sores?
What are Stage 3 bed sores?
What are Stage 2 bed sores?
What are stage 1 bed sores?
I was injured in a car accident and the other insurance company is not admitting fault. What can I do?
How much money should I receive from the insurance company for a back injury from a car accident in New York?
How much compensation should I receive from an insurance company for a neck injury from a car accident in New York?
For more information on neck injuries from a car accident in New York continue reading here.
How much compensation should I received from an insurance company for a head injury resulting from a car accident in New York?
How much money should I receive from the insurance company for a knee injury from a car accident in New York?
Should I accept the amount of money the insurance company is offering for my injuries from a car accident?
What is a traumatic brain injury?
What is a traumatic brain injury (TBI)?
- Open head injury
- Closed head injury
- Deceleration Injury
- Chemical/Toxic Injury
- Hypoxia (Lack of Oxygen)
What health problems do PCBs cause?
- Cancer – Data strongly suggests that PCBs are probable human carcinogens
- Immune effects – Probable issues including decrease in size of the thymus gland, reductions in the response of the immune system following a challenge with red blood cells, a decreased resistance to Epstein-Barr virus and other infections, susceptibility to pneumonia and viral infections.
- Reproductive effects – Potentially serious effects on the reproductive system such as a reduction in birth weight, reduction in conception rates, reduction in gestational age, reduction of live birth rates, and a reduction in sperm count.
- Neurological effects – Potential issues such as deficits in neurological development, including visual recognition, short-term memory and learning. These effects can present themselves due to exposure of ones self to PCBs or may present itself through the birth of a child by a person who was previously exposed to PCBs.
- Endocrine effects – Potential decrease in thyroid hormone levels
- Other possible effects – Possible elevation in blood pressure, serum triglyceride, and serum cholesterol
What other names were PCBs sold under and what other products contain PCBs?
- Biphenyl, chlorinated
- Chlorinated biphenyl
- Chlorinated diphenyl
- Diphenyl, clorinated
- MCS 1489
- Polychlorinated biphenyl
- Polychlorinated biphenyls
- Polychlorinated diphenyl
- Polychlorinated diphenyls
For additional information about the toxicity of PCBs continue reading in our PCB section.
What do PCBs look like?
For additional information regarding the toxicity of PCBs continue reading on our website.
What were common uses of PCBs used prior to being banned?
- Transformers and capacitors
- Other electrical equipment including voltage regulators, switches, reclosers, bushings, and electromagnets
- Oil used in motor and hydraulic systems
- Old electrical devices or appliances containing PCB capacitors
- Fluorescent light ballasts
- Cable insulation
- Thermal insulation material including fiberglass, felt, foam, and cork
- Adhesives and tapes
- Oil-based paint
- Carbonless copy paper
- Floor finish
For additional information about over-exposure to PCB’s continue reading our PCB section.
Is overexposure to PCBs linked to autism?
A specific test conducted by the University of California San Francisco in 2007 showed in a study on rats that PCBs directly affect the same part of the brain that is affected by autism. The study suggests that PCB toxins causes problems in the auditory cortex which is the part of the brain that deals with language and speech.
For additional information about health problems caused by overexposure to PCBs continue reading more information about PCBs on our site.
Is overexposure to PCBs linked to cancer?
For additional information about PCBs continue reading our PCB page.
Am I experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or is it just a normal response to the accident?
Often times people experience some type of symptoms of PTSD after a traumatic experience such as an accident but the symptoms go away a short amount of time after the accident. Feeling as if your safety or trust was broken, feeling disconnected, numb, or angry, or finding it hard to stop thinking about the traumatic event are all normal reactions to abnormal events such as an accident. These feelings normally last from a few days to a few weeks but eventually they should decrease and disappear. It is not normal to continue experiencing these feelings without a decrease for a period past a few weeks. If this occurs you may be experiencing PTSD.
It is important to seek help from your doctor and other medical professionals if you do feel as if you have post-traumatic stress disorder.
I was a victim of a hit-and-run accident; I don’t have any insurance – who will pay my medical bills?
A claim would be made to MVAIC just as you would if you were in an accident with another car. MVAIC will pay for your medical treatment and lost wages according to the No-Fault regulations, as well as compensation for your injuries, up to $25,000.00. In order to be eligible for benefits, you must report the hit-and-run accident to the police within 24 hours, unless it would be physically impossible to do so. Failure to timely report the claim may prevent you from receiving any benefits that you may have been entitled to.
I received a letter saying that my case is referred for Conciliation. What does that mean?
I was hurt on a cruise ship – what should I do?
I was in an accident with a police car in New York- What should I do?
Section 1104 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law relieves the driver of a police car from the duty to obey the otherwise-applicable rules and regulations governing the movement of vehicles, but does not relieve the driver from “the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.”
What to do if “lawyers” call you after an accident?
These ethics rules were put in place to protect you when you are most vulnerable and may not be able to make the best decisions. If a lawyer calls you after you have had an accident, don’t engage them. It is your right to report that lawyer to the local ethics committee for violation of the anti-solicitation rules and to help put an end to this practice. Personal injury attorneys are not well-known for the help that they provide to injured victims and attorneys that solicit injured people only adds to that reputation.